Structural reinforcement of walls with FRCM and CRM systems
FRCM Olympus STONE systems are compliant with the Guidelines of the Higher Council for Public works. FRCM systems come in form of a kit since they include many components combined during the lay-up to form the FRP system to be used for the structural consolidation. The system’s components are a fiber reinforcement (fabric or mesh) and a natural hydraulic lime-based synthetic matrix along with the connectors, eventually.
A FRCM system features by definition a 5 to 15 mm thickness for fabrics and maximum 30 mm mesh.
All Olympus STONE systems are made of:
- A fiber component (ie. Steel fiber fabric or glass AR mesh)
- A synthetic matrix made of structural mortar (ie. Lime-based)
- Connection devices, eventually
Olympus STONE FRCM line
FRCM OLYMPUS-STONE line composite materials can be applied for pre-existing buildings’ structural reinforcement works. Thanks to their mechanical, physical and chemical properties, these systems are particularly fit for the structural reinforcement of load bearing walls They can also be used in seismic adjustment or improvement works or to locally fix some structural gaps.
Below are the possible most common employs based on the type of structure to be reinforced.
Consolidation works of masonry members
- Masonry panels→shear and flexural reinforcement for in-plane actions
- Masonry panels→shear and flexural reinforcement for out-of-plane actions
- Masonry macro-members→ prevention of local failure mechanisms
- Masonry columns→confinement
Consolidation works on deckings
- Reinforcement of masonry deckings →any type of dome-shaped vaults
FRCM systems convey several advantages also compared to other types of composite materials. These advantages are brought by the high-strength conveyed by the fiber-component and the use of synthetic matrices and they are:
- High mechanical strength;
- High durability over time;
- Low thickness reinforcements without any significant additional weight;
- Possibility to use synthetic matrices compatible with the masonry to be reinforced;
- Guarantee of breathability of masonry;
- Fire resistance;
- Easy lay-up by the workforce.
All the above advantages make the FRCM systems an excellent structural reinforcement technology for load-bearing masonry members.
OLYMPUS STONE line FRCM systems were involved in more than one testing campaign by University laboratories and National research centers.
Our systems are currently undergoing the qualification process to be certified with CVT Technical assessment Certificate by The Central Technical Service of CSLLPP pursuant to the “Guidelines for identification, qualification and acceptance testing of fiber-reinforced polymers (FRP) to be referred to for structural reinforcement projects of pre-existing buildings”.
Being the process of qualification still ongoing, FRCM reinforcement systems of the OLYMPUS STONE line can only be used for the temporary period authorized as under art. 2 of decree n. 1 from 08-01-2019.